In addition to building local production facilities, BIOME builds local ecosystems to take advantage of existing local strategic assets while also supporting local communities to strengthen indirect economic development. Specifically, BIOME entered into a partnership with St. Francis Xavier University on December 5, 2017 in respect of a multi dispensary three-year collaboration. Through this partnership, BIOME and this leading academic institution located close to its Nova Scotia based production facility will conduct a range of research based initiatives including:
- Creating unique cannabis genetics that may be used in clinical trials that BIOME intends to undertake.
- Developing new delivery methods and mechanisms for delivery of cannabis into the human body.
- Research into new approaches for growing and cultivating cannabis on an industrial scale.
- Assisting in sourcing human capital for BIOME with a particular focus on St. Francis Xavier students and graduates.
- Working with regional and provincial authorities to support these aforementioned activities.
CBD from Industrial Hemp
BIOME has entered into an agreement with Ontario based CBD Acres to provide BIOME with a significant supply of high-quality hemp-derived CBD to meet the growing domestic and global markets for CBD products.
BIOME will partner with numerous cannabis micro cultivators, that were recently permitted in changes to the Cannabis Act. Micro cultivators will be limited to a total footprint of approximately 2500 sq. ft. with about 2000 sq. ft. available for growing.
Small footprint growing aligns closely with BIOME’s commitment to quality and reliance on local resources and we see tremendous potential for our partnership with many unique growers.
Medicinal Cannabis and Cannabinoid Clinics
BIOME’s early focus on the global cannabis sector looked beyond the recreational market to witness the emerging global awareness of medicinal benefits associated with CBD derived from hemp.
BIOME will support patients in their desire for access to CBD through a physician led clinic model where clinical expertise and education will align in an integrative fashion to provide CBD for patients locally and globally.